BAM Ritchies: Colwyn Bay Seawall, North Wales
BAM Ritchies were appointed as sub-contractors by Galliford Try to carry out 800 m2 of sprayed concrete repair works to the promenade wall as part of the Colwyn Bay Water Front Project.
The works comprised of the supply of all supervision, labour, sprayed concrete plant, equipment and permanent materials for the sprayed concrete scope of works as follows:
- Removal of existing deteriorated concrete to agreed areas.
- Preparation by hydro-scabbling of existing concrete face to remove surface contaminants and provide a clean substrate for sprayed concrete application, to ensure maximum bond strength.
- Saw cutting to the top and toe of existing wall to enable matching to existing profile to be achieved.
- Fixing of stainless steel mesh by use of Hilti IDMR Stainless steel anchors.
- Fixing of thickness guides and dry spraying 50mm of C50 concrete, trimmed to profile and finished with an ‘as sprayed’ 10mm flash coat.
- The works were undertaken during low tide periods within pedestrian exclusion zones over a 200m length of promenade.